Show more

70 Pine St.

Also Formerly, 60 Wall Tower, Cities Service Building, and American International (AIG) Building

NY

Architect

Clinton & Russell (Clinton & Russell, Holton & George)

Designations

New York City Landmark in Jun 21, 2011

Description Show more

The Cities Service Building was constructed during the New York skyscraper race, which accounts for its gothic-like spire-topped appearance, a popular architectural style at that time. When completed it was the third tallest building in the world, after the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. It was the last skyscraper to be built in Lower Manhattan prior to World War II, and was the tallest building in Lower Manhattan until the 1970s when the World Trade Center was completed.

A 67-story, 952-foot (290 m) residential building, built by energy conglomerate Cities Service Company (later Citgo), was Lower Manhattan's tallest building and the world's third-tallest structure upon its completion.

The building occupies a trapezoidal lot on Pearl Street between Pine and Cedar Streets. It features a brick, limestone, and gneiss facade with numerous setbacks. The building contains an extensive program of ornamentation, including the Cities Service Company's triangular logo and solar motifs. The interior features included escalators at the base and double-deck elevators linking the tower's floors. A three-story penthouse, intended for Cities Service's founder Henry Latham Doherty, was later utilized as a public observatory.

70 Pine Street's construction was funded through a public offering of stock, rather than a mortgage loan. Despite having been built during the Great Depression, the building was profitable enough that it broke even by 1936, with 90% of the space occupied five years later.

The Cities Service Building was constructed during the New York skyscraper race, which accounts for its gothic-like spire-topped appearance, a popular architectural style at that time. When completed it was the third tallest building in the world, after the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. It was the last skyscraper to be built in Lower Manhattan prior to World War II, and was the tallest building in Lower Manhattan until the 1970s when the World Trade Center was completed.

A 67-story, 952-foot (290 m) residential building, built by energy conglomerate Cities Service Company (later Citgo), was Lower Manhattan's tallest building and the world's third-tallest structure upon its completion.

The building occupies a trapezoidal lot on Pearl Street between Pine and Cedar Streets. It features a brick, limestone, and gneiss facade with numerous setbacks. The building contains an extensive program of ornamentation, including the Cities Service Company's triangular logo and solar motifs. The interior features included escalators at the base and double-deck elevators linking the tower's floors. A three-story penthouse, intended for Cities Service's founder Henry Latham Doherty, was later utilized as a public observatory.

70 Pine Street's construction was funded through a public offering of stock, rather than a mortgage loan. Despite having been built during the Great Depression, the building was profitable enough that it broke even by 1936, with 90% of the space occupied five years later.

Tours

Great Crashes of Wall Street

70 Pine Street, New York, NY, US 10005

Nearby
60 Wall Street 339 feet
'Wall Street' Released 533 feet
Liberty Bonds 533 feet
Wall of New Amsterdam is built 533 feet
The New York Weekly Journal founded 533 feet
48 Wall Street 564 feet
Slave Market on Wall Street 568 feet
Museum of American Finance 574 feet
Pearl Street 661 feet
#Architecture #Workplace #Residential