Show more

Federal Hall National Memorial Hall

Also Originally the United States Custom House

NY

Museum
4 Total, Show more
Architect

Pierre L'Enfant

Town & Davis

Interior Architect

John Frazee

Donor

Abraham De Peyster

Designations

National Historic Landmark in 1939

Description Show more

Federal Hall that you see today is actually the third building on this site. Originally, the building was New York’s second City Hall.  

George Washington gave the renovation project to Pierre L’Enfant who was then a young engineer on his staff as his first architectural commission.  Washington was inaugurated on its balcony in 1789; the statue in front was installed for the 100-year commemoration. 

When the capital was moved to Washington DC, this building was constructed as the US Customs House in 1842 until that function was moved about 20 years later.   The Treasury Department then used it to store some of the country’s gold and silver bullions until the Federal Reserve Bank was built.  

Around 1699, de Peyster donated part of his garden for the construction of a new city hall. That building was later renamed Federal Hall.

1703 Around 1699, de Peyster donated part of his garden for the construction of a new city hall. That building was later renamed Federal Hall, which briefly served as the first capitol of the United States, and the site of the first inauguration of George Washington as president. It was replaced in 1842 with the Greek Renaissance structure that stands there today.

Federal Hall that you see today is actually the third building on this site. Originally, the building was New York’s second City Hall.  

George Washington gave the renovation project to Pierre L’Enfant who was then a young engineer on his staff as his first architectural commission.  Washington was inaugurated on its balcony in 1789; the statue in front was installed for the 100-year commemoration. 

When the capital was moved to Washington DC, this building was constructed as the US Customs House in 1842 until that function was moved about 20 years later.   The Treasury Department then used it to store some of the country’s gold and silver bullions until the Federal Reserve Bank was built.  

Around 1699, de Peyster donated part of his garden for the construction of a new city hall. That building was later renamed Federal Hall.

1703 Around 1699, de Peyster donated part of his garden for the construction of a new city hall. That building was later renamed Federal Hall, which briefly served as the first capitol of the United States, and the site of the first inauguration of George Washington as president. It was replaced in 1842 with the Greek Renaissance structure that stands there today.

Tours

Great Crashes of Wall Street

Federal Hall National Memorial

26 Wall Street, New York City, NY, US 10005

Nearby
George Washington Statue at Federal Hall 108 feet
Great Blizzard of 1888 108 feet
1st Presidential Inauguration 108 feet
3,300,000 men shipped out of NY Harbor for World War II 108 feet
Flag Exchange: A living thing 108 feet
Eureka : 40 foot sculpture 108 feet
1st US Capitol 108 feet
July 4th Celebration in New York City 108 feet
20 Pine Street 169 feet
#Architecture #Museum

Timeline