1st Almshouse Established
City Hall Park, New York, NY
Health and Safety Show less
Description Show more
The first Almshouse was opened on the Commons of the City in 1736 and fell under the care and control of the Overseers of the Poor, House of Correction, Workhouse and Poorhouse, headed by two men appointed by the Office of the Mayor.
Established by the Quakers on the grounds of City Hall. The plaque was installed on City Hall Park 1999.